Thursday, September 17, 2009

Adventures in cooking

I made some yummy Alfredo sauce tonight. I am ashamed to admit that this is the first time I have ever made it. I now understand why it is so tasty, it is made with fat, and fat and more fat, oh and then some cheese. :)
I also made breadsticks, I typed in breadsticks on google and used the first recipe I found. They were very yummy too. (Dinner was a little high in carbs tonight.)
Here is the recipe for the breadsticks. Although I had to add at least 1/4 cup more water. and I used a whole egg and skipped putting the egg white on the formed dough. Then, before I cooked them I covered them in melted butter and shook garlic powder and parmesan cheese over them. The kids especially liked the bread sticks because I formed them in the first letter in their names.


ITALIAN BREAD STICKS
Printed from COOKS.COM

2 to 2 1/4 c. flour
1 pkg. dry yeast
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. olive oil or cooking oil
1 egg yolk
1 egg white
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. warm water

In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Combine warm water, oil, and egg yolk. Add to large bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer until blended. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. By hand, stir in enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead until smooth. Shape into a ball; cover and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or overnight. Divide into 16 equal parts. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Roll each piece of dough to form rope 14 inches long.

Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Add 1 tablespoon water to egg whites; beat until frothy. Brush over dough. Let rise in warm place (45 to 60 minutes). Brush again with egg mixture; sprinkle coarse salt. Bake 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Makes 16.

3 comments:

Charla said...

leaving a comment

Sarah said...

ooh, we'll have to try this out! Thanks for the recipe! :)

Sarah said...

and where did you get the alfredo recipe? :)